Over the years timber has gained wide popularity in architecture for its natural beauty and warmth, but as with all materials, timber needs maintenance to stay in good shape. There are quite a few ways timber can be maintained to ensure this natural beauty is sustained, but one effective method is with the right timber coating.
There are various types of timber coatings available from Sculptform, and the suitability of each depends on the use of the material. To achieve the right level of protection from factors such as UV exposure, rain and human traffic, choosing the right timber coating is extremely important. Find out about the types of coatings and which applications they are best used for in our quick and easy guide to choosing the right timber coating.
|Clear Oil||Clear Poly||Enviropro coatings|
|Coating Type||Penetrating Oil Coating||Film Coating||Oil-film Hybrid Coating|
|Exterior Maintenance Period||12-18 months||NA||2-4 years|
|Suitable Applications||Interior / Exterior||Interior Only||Interior / Exterior|
Below is a representation of each coating on Blackbutt timber. The natural variation of timber means no two trees produce the exact same colour or grain pattern, so it is important to remember that these are examples.
Choosing the right coating for your application
When deciding on a timber coating, a few simple rules will help you avoid disaster down the track. Using these rules and further information listed below, you can decide on the best timber coating for your application. For further advice contact us to discuss your best timber coating option.
- Clear Poly can only be used for interior applications
- Clear Oil and Enviropro coatings can be used for all applications.
- A variety of washes and colours are available in each coating. Pigments in Clear Oil and Enviropro coatings can be used to protect the timber from UV exposure and minimise maintenance.
- All exterior timber requires maintenance and should be checked every 6 months to determine if reapplication is required. Allowing the timber to weather is a low maintenance option for exterior timber – find out more here.
Surface Film Coatings (Clear Poly)
Film coatings create a thin film over the surface of the timber, preventing UV rays from reaching the surface (shown above). These coatings create a thicker layer over the timber than other options, providing a slight sheen finish.
Clear poly is available in a range of washes to change the appearance of the timber, contact us to discuss any options you have in mind.
Only suitable for internal use, Clear Poly can potentially peel, crack or blister when used in exterior applications.
- Provides a clean finish to the timber
- Makes timber easier to clean
- Dries clear, emphasising the natural colour of the timber
- Minimal maintenance required
- Health and hospitality environments which require an easy to clean finish to timber
- High human traffic areas
- Interior ceilings, walls and screens
Penetrating Oil Coatings (Clear Oil)
An oil-based coating for both internal and external applications, Clear Oil penetrates the surface of the timber in order to create a protective layer. Penetrating oil coatings are effective at protecting the timber from UV exposure, but degrade quicker than film coatings.
Colour tone or pigment can be added to penetrating oil coatings to slow the weathering process. Colour tones are not supplied by Sculptform and need to be applied after the installation process.
Penetrating oil coatings are suitable for interior or exterior applications.
- Penetrates deeply to assist in hydration and dimensional stability
- Won’t crack, peel or flake – gradually fades overtime
- Highlights your timber’s natural grain and beauty
- Long term protection from moisture reduces cupping, warping and splitting
- Natural matt finish
- Water repellent
- For interior and exterior use
- Exterior walls and screens
- Interior applications
Penetrating Oil-Film Hybrid Coatings (Enviropro exterior coating)
Oil-film hybrids combine the best features of the other coatings available to provide a penetrating coat which lasts longer and effectively protects the surface of the timber. Highly durable and water-based, this low-VOC product has been specifically designed for harsh climates.
Clear options are available in the Enviropro range, however Sculptform only recommends these for undercover areas such as soffits. There is also a range of colour options available containing pigments which protect from UV exposure, contact us to discuss which option best suits your design intent.
Enviropro exterior coatings are designed for exterior applications.
- Weathers naturally without flaking, peeling or blistering
- Helps prevent mould growth
- Guards timber against abrasive effects of foot traffic
- Natural-looking matt finish
- Maintains appearance of timber grain
- Minimal maintenance required
- Eaves and soffits
- Exterior walls (when using pigment)
- Facades (when using pigment)
Have any questions?
Our clients are at the heart of every project. It’s our job to deliver on the big picture and the smallest detail. We’re your proactive design partner – we’ll listen to what you really need and work with you to make sure the job gets done right.
We would love to hear about your next project!